Why do I need regular dental cleanings?
Professional dental cleaning and examination are encouraged for patients of all ages every six months to ensure a healthy smile. Drs. Jerald Matt and Naila Bryan of Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, provide new and returning patients and families with cleanings and examinations regularly. However, patients should also practice good oral hygiene habits at home for plaque and tartar removal before it becomes a problem. Regular cleanings and evaluations can help to prevent cavities and gum disease while monitoring oral health and wellness. Below are a few steps our team will take during your routine appointment at Main Line Dental Health & Wellness:
- Prophylaxis. During a dental cleaning known as prophylaxis, your teeth and gums are thoroughly cleaned by our dental hygienist using specialized tools that remove tartar and plaque and provide polishing to smooth the surfaces of the teeth.
- Examination. Drs. Jerald Matt and Naila Bryan will physically examine the smile to look for potential issues that might develop within the smile.
- Oral cancer screening. In addition to looking for signs of disease and decay, our team may also screen for oral cancer, which can affect patients at any age. However, some patients might be at a higher risk and may benefit from regular oral cancer screenings at each visit.
- Scaling and root planing. In cases where patients have been diagnosed with periodontal disease, their professional cleaning may include scaling and root planing. This special type of deep clean is performed to remove plaque and tartar from even the roots of the teeth underneath the gum line to control infection.
- Dental x-rays. Depending on your individual needs, x-rays may be taken, and further diagnostic tests might be performed.
- Education. Finally, Drs. Jerald Matt and Naila Bryan advise on caring for your teeth between visits with tips such as proper brushing techniques and good nutrition habits.
After the cleaning is completed, you should leave the office with a healthy smile!
If you are in need of dental cleaning and evaluation, call Main Line Dental Health & Wellness at (610) 947-5566 to request an appointment at our office at 776 West Lancaster Avenue in Bryn Mawr, PA.